Festive Gear Helped Prep Students and Staff for Winter Break

Martin Cruz shows his festive spirit.

Martin Cruz shows his festive spirit.

K. Colloton, Adviser

‘Tis the season for the smell of pine, and cookies, along with twinkle lights, Christmas carols, and of course awful tacky holiday gear.  There was a time when many youngsters and adults alike grimaced at the thought of donning an itchy holiday sweater, even if it pleased grandma.  Nowadays, many are embracing the opportunities to attire themselves in garish, festive threads and even competing to see who can rustle up the tackiest display of holiday cheer to be posted upon one’s chest.  Furthermore, it seems that it is not just about the sweater alone, but also about the accessories.  Elf hats ranging from tiny to large with lights and songs hurried through the halls of NAHS today.  Bells dressed up hair, ears, belts, and hats making some think that Santa’s entourage of eight was landing nearby.  Pins have taken upon personalities of their own singing and dancing a holiday tune, or blinking as if to alert oncoming traffic. Although all of these festive accouterments might seems excessive or overstimulating in an environment meant for learning, today they were welcomed along with many other festivities this last day before Winter Break.

The morning started with students from Student Council and Life Skills classes getting together for a

Husband and wife duo, Jim and Sam Hanft performed for NAHS students outside as the small concert got a new setting due to a short fire drill. (Photo courtesy of Ty’Jah Wesley)

holiday party.  In other parts of the building Wintergram Rose deliveries surprised and delighted students and staff.  During fourth period a small winter concert by Jim and Sam Hanft set listeners in the holiday spirit.  Even with the interruption of a fire drill they were not deterred and continued to sing and play for their audience.  In a final holiday performance music students took to the hallways caroling from room to room to spread holiday cheer, as has become the traditional Winter Break send off at NAHS.

While the school was filled with merriment today, there is a majority who are happy for the lights to go dark for the next week and will relish the reprieve this Winter Break provides.