We Bid Farewell to Our Endearing Seniors

Tah'niyah Jackson, Staff Writer

“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” –Seneca

These last few years have been kind of crazy, to say the least. Your current seniors went from being freshmen in high school, not knowing how to navigate this enormous building, to getting sent home and having to function in an entirely new version of high school. Then boom! They’re thrown back into the school as seniors after being away from it for so long. There were a lot of events and memories that they missed out on, but they made it, and they should be proud of that. After this year ends, some of them will be going to a college or into the Armed Forces, and some of them are just going to try to navigate the world in their own way, all trying to become success stories. Some of our seniors would like to leave some final words that may help some younger students get through and give some ideas of what life after high school will be like for them.

Meleanna Wittington

Meleannea is one of the captains for the Step Team and has been a part of the team for the last four years. She was also a member of the BSU ( Black Student Union).

Advice for underclassmen
“I wish I knew that if you don’t stay focused, you will fail, especially in your 9th-grade year. The people at colleges are looking at you. If your 9th-grade year isn’t your best year, then colleges won’t look at you as much.”

What she’ll miss about the High
“ I’m definitely going to miss the Step Team. Step is the best part. I’m going to miss just hanging out with people who are actually funny.”

After Graduation
After high school, Maleanna plans to go to Montgomery County Community College to study Dance and Business for two years, and she intends to pursue dance after college.

Nyasia Gray

Nyasia is a freelance photographer who runs her own photography business called Saliya’s Photos. Nyasia can do special events and casual themed shoots, and she has already started. Using some of her friends as models to promote her work, she has received invitations to be a wedding photographer and recently did a birthday-themed photo shoot. “Anything you want pictures of, I can do it for you.”

Advice for underclassmen
”Stay in school, I’m not going to college but school is the best thing to keep your mind off of a lot of [expletive deleted]”

What she’ll miss about the High 
Nyasia says she going to “miss the substitutes [because] we watch movies and chill. I had this one substitute, she was rapping. We had a fun class time with that one.”

After Graduation
Nyasia will be continuing photography after graduation. “I’m a huge [deleted] businesswoman.” She will continue to make her business bigger.

Jaden Jones

Jaden is one of the track team’s long jumpers and has run for the team since freshman year. During his senior year, he began playing football for the school, and the team won its last two games, “which was lit,” according to Jaden.

Advice for underclassmen
“Go to class, don’t be in the hallway. When you’re in the hallway, there’s nothing for you to do. You’re just walking around. Yeah, it’s good to stretch your legs, but you still have to get your work done. High school isn’t a joke, especially when it comes to college.”

What he’ll miss about the High
“I’m going to miss a couple of the teachers. Honestly the High isn’t that bad, but at the same time, it’s like, I don’t care about the high. But I’m definitely going to miss the teachers and the pep rallies.”

After Graduation
Jaden plans to attend Lincoln University and further his education.

Cioni Flynn

Cioni is the Track and Field team captain and has been a member of the team for the last four years. She also started to build her hairstyling clientele.‘Hair By Cioni Lyne’e is the name of her business, and you can find her on Instagram to book appointments.

Advice for underclassmen
“My advice would definitely be to stay on top of your schoolwork and just actually get involved with school because it goes by so quick. Once you hit your senior year, you reminisce on all of the things you could have done.”

What she’ll miss about the High
“I’m going to miss my sports team. I don’t really do too much around the high school, like I said, I would recommend that for the underclassmen to do. But I haven’t really done anything. I’m going to miss some of the teachers that I’ve had, but the thing I am going to miss the most about this high school is the Track and Field team.”

After Graduation
“I’m going to Montco for two years to major in Dental Hygiene and minor in Radiology. Then, I am going to transfer to a four-year college of my choice, an HBCU.”

Angele Bakutibe

Angele is very active in the school community. She has participated in a variety of sports like track and field, tennis, softball, and bowling, not to mention she is one of the executive producers for Eagle News and a Company commander for JROTC.

Advice for underclassmen
“Do your schoolwork because your GPA matters. When I started as a freshman, I didn’t really care about my grades. I thought I could just play around and not do my school work. Then in my 11th-grade year, I started to look at my grades and said to myself ‘Oh my Gosh! I have to get these up!’ If you are planning to [go to] college for any reason, you have to focus on your school work and be engaged in clubs and sports. Try to be a part of something, because your high school years go by so fast. ”

Things she’ll miss about the High
“There’s a lot of things I am going to miss. I’m definitely going to miss the people, you know. School is a place we all (as students) need for education and social interaction. We spend most of our time in school, so we get to meet new people and make new friends.”

After graduation
Angele will be going to Montco for 2 years to study Dental Hygiene, then transfer to Temple University to finish her bachelor’s degree.

Jeanine Fritz

Jeanine is a Drum major, which is a leadership position that she holds with Katie Mocarsky. Even though they have only had this title for a year, they have shown leadership in this role since sophomore year.

Advice for underclassmen
“For music and art-related subjects I would say, stick to it. Try to find a good group of friends that will help you achieve those goals. But mostly, try to work through it and work hard. Try to push through art block or music block”

What she’ll miss about the High
“I’ll miss the environment, there’s a lot of cool people here, some really nice teachers, and I’m going to miss music and art programs.”

After graduation

Jeanine will be continuing her education and will be attending Penn State this fall. Jeanine is continuing her journey with music while at Penn State.

Katie Mcarsky

Katie, along with Jeanine, is one of the Drum majors here at the high school, and she has been involved in music-related activities since the fourth grade She is also one of the seniors on the softball team.

Advice for underclassmen
“If you believe you can do it, you probably can do it, because no matter what, there’s always going to be at least one person that’s going to support you through it all.”

What she’ll miss about the High
“I’m going to miss the loving support that the staff gives students, and how willing they are to say that you can ‘come back and just talk.’ I’m still very close with my ninth-grade English teacher, and I’m able to just walk in her room and rant.”

After Graduation
“After graduation, I’m going to college, with plans to major in Media Arts Production. I want to do all of the behind-the-scenes of making a TVshow.”

Layla Chaaraoui

Layla is currently ranked #1 in our class and has held this position since her freshman year. She is also involved in a number of clubs in the school including, but not limited to, DECA, The Wingspan, National Honor Society.  She is also the Co-Class President.

Advice for underclassmen
“Make the most out of the time that you have. COVID has interrupted our high school experience in a way that we are not going to be able to get back. Make the most out of joining clubs, participating in class, and getting involved. Keep up with your schoolwork, don’t fall behind, and try to do what you can to prepare for your future. Just know that everything works out.”

What she’ll miss about the High
”I’ll definitely miss the teachers and my friends. I’ve been able to build a lot of great relationships in my time here, and it’s sad I’m going to be leaving all of that.”

After graduation
“I am going to Harvard University, and I’m concentrating in government. My goal is to be a political journalist, which means I will write journalism. I hope to be a broadcast journalist, meaning I’ll go on TV and commentate on political issues or facilitate debates. Maybe, I’ll have my own show one day.”

Tah’niyah Jackson

I am Tah’niyah Jackson and I have been a staff reporter for the Wingspan for the last 3 years. I was a part of the Track and Field team for 3 years and I played tennis for a year.

Advice for underclassmen
Stop all of the useless fighting: it’s not cute. What is being fought over usually isn’t even that serious, so just stop.

What to miss about Norristown High
I am going to miss the teachers I’ve had the last few years. They have been really helpful and understanding, and not all teachers are like that.

After Graduation
After high school, I will be going to Washington & Jefferson College, and I will be studying Economics and Business Administration. I eventually want to become a Certified Financial Planner.

To the seniors of Norristown Area High School, I would like to congratulate you on your accomplishments over the last 13 years and tell you that you should be proud of yourselves. I know that this may feel like an end of an era, and it is, but it is also a new beginning for you to explore more of the world than what you have known. So, when you go out into this huge world, hold your head high, and be proud of yourself.

You did it!

“If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” –Paulo Coelho