Pep Rally 2016 Rallies the Pep for NAHS Homecoming!

Just as the sun was rising this morning so too was the spirit of blue and white all around NAHS.  Seniors met in the student parking lot early to share some coffee, decorate themselves with war paint, sign shirts, and (of course) pose for a few selfies.

The buzz of blue and white continued into the hallways upon entry as the cheer and dance squads reported to one last rehearsal, the Pep Band thumped to the rhythm, and the organizers of Pep Rally 2016 scurried around the gymnasium checking on last minute details and delivering instructions.

At 9AM students were ready for the event of the morning: Pep Rally 2016.  They orderly entered the gynasium and this year did not sit according to class. As they waited for the stands to fill, they sang along in unison to the background music and danced in their seats.

pepdw1-19-300x225
Steve Bono greets the senior football players at the 2016 Pep Rally.

This was soon followed by the presentation of the colors by JROTC and an impressive delivery of the National Anthem by Select Choir and talented vocalists of the faculty, all lead by Mrs. Danoff.

Little did most of the crowd know that Steve Bono, NAHS alumni and former NFL quarterback, would be presenting the senior football players with a gold game ball.  Bono emphasized to the student body that his journey began in high school and was only realized because of the influential mentors he was surrounded with in his younger years.  In particular, Bono spoke of Roger Grove, a former NAHS and Neshaminy football coach who had a large impact on Bono while he played for NAHS.  Grove passed recently, but was honored in late summer with the new bleachers of the athletic complex and a scholarship for NAHS and Neshaminy football players dedicated in his name.  Bono embraced all of the students with his words explaining that no matter what you do in life the “journey starts in high school.”

Masters of Ceremonies reclaimed the Pep Rally with a thanks to Mr. Bono and a reminder from Craig Lacy of “once your an eagle, you’re always an eagle.”  The presentation of by Bono was undoubtedly the calmest feature of the program as it moved into some impressive lay-ups and dunks from the senior boys basketball team, as well as performances by the cheer squads and the student dancers who were bravely joined by some faculty.  The pep rally also included a rather unbalanced tug-of-war between students and teachers where the teachers gave a brief struggle.

Despite their involvement in last year’s Spring Pep Rally, this marks the first Fall Pep Rally and Homecoming week sponsored, in part, by the newly established Blue and White Society.  The Blue and White Society worked in conjunction with Student Council, school administration, the Communications Center, and Music Department to put on this event.

As the gymnasium emptied out and the students made their way back to fourth period, teachers and students alike remarked how the rally was “fun” and even “cool.”

All NAHS students are encouraged to come out to the Homecoming Dance on Friday, October 21st at 7PM.   On Saturday NAHS supporters can join the Blue and White Society for a Spirit Tailgate in the teacher’s parking lot at 11AM prior to the game which starts at 1PM.