Academic Cheating is an Ongoing Story

Vanessa Graves, Staff Reporter

Have you ever cheated on a test before? Or have you ever got caught and your teacher or parents ask why? Of course we lie and say “I don’t know” or just take the heat and take the detention or punishment, but only us, as students, know exactly why we cheat. We also realize that we are never going to stop even after we leave high school.

Occasionally we can escape the blame because it isn’t always the fault of our deviousness for why we cheat. Sometimes it’s because we are not learning properly in the class we are being tested in or simply just get a test that has absolutely nothing we learned on it. In those situations it is lack of proper information or even a misunderstanding between the teaching idea of teaching and the students, as teachers think they are giving out the information but are not. Then teachers wonder why we sit and stare into blank space, fail, or…cheat. In some cases, the student just absolutely feels the need to cheat. Pressure by parents, eligibility for sports, or trying to simply get straight A’s are all reasons why we cheat. With so much on our shoulder, cheating becomes a necessity.

It’s hard. School is nerve wracking and difficult. You get sick of it. You want to graduate. You want to be successful and sometimes the only way to feel as if we accomplished that is by cheating. According to study.com, 75-98 percent of college students have cheated. This just comes to show even after high school, students still cheat. Even with the consequences you can receive if being caught cheating in college.

Basically, cheating will never go away. Students will always cheat, there is always that one student who just has their back against the wall and has no choice but to cheat.