Eagle Of the Month : Ian Lickwinko

More stories from Jessica Yates

Our first Eagle of the Month to kick off our school year is Ian Lickwinko. Ian is a senior here at the high school and has many athletics under his wing. Besides football, Ian does golf, lacrosse, hockey, baseball, and lifeguard training. Freshman year, he only played Lacrosse and golf, but not in school. During his sophomore year, he did only golf but outside Ian played with his hockey team for their home games. However, this year, Ian has been playing both golf and Football for fall and Lacrosse in the spring. He also does a lot of conditioning like running 5 miles before and after school every day.
His main sport, he says, is hockey, which he’s been playing for 16 years. His favorite and most respected player for hockey is Canadian professional ice hockey player, Jeff Carter.
Even before school started, Ian was working hard to commit to his team. He lives about an hour and a half from the high school, but managed to walk to and from almost every day of the summer for practice. He says that it, “doesn’t bother him and [he] tries not to think about it”, and that now that he has a job at Cracker Barrel he hopes to get himself a car to get to where he needs to go.
Ian comes from a very athletic family of Lickwinkos. His sister Kennedie is a sophomore varsity cheerleader while his brothers and little sister (Dominick, Mason, and Delaney), all play football. However, Dominick now only plays for fun since he has moved on to college. Ian’s dad also has some football coaching experience with the Norristown Bandits. Ian says his biggest supporter is Mason because he’s always asking about the positions Ian plays. In return for his enthusiasm Ian also helps his little brother with his football techniques. Additionally, he likes to teach his sister Delaney, who also runs track, how to do certain positions and how to catch properly.
Our Eagle of October has been looking at certain colleges that include the variety of sports he does. He says he was originally looking to get a golf scholarship to Florida State and to major in pharmacology, but then changed his mind to Coastal Carolina University because he liked the more laid back style, and he is also considering Newman because they provide the sports he is interested in.