The official student news site of Norristown Area High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Major Carter Brings Experience and Inspiration to JRTOC

Recent Norristown's Finest Stories

Jarrell Flippen

Jarrell+Flippen
Maci Jordan

Most seniors entering college may feel anxious and uncertain about the future. Fear of the unknown is a major factor causing anxiety, but that is not the case for Jarrel Flippen. Even with his laid-back attitude, he is positive and confident that his goals and aspirations will be met in the future.

“I’ll start worrying about the future when it comes to it. I wake up like it’s a new day. You don’t know what to expect. Anything could happen,” said Flippen. 

At his dream school West Chester University, Flippen wants to major in music and become a music teacher to pass on the gift of music to other kids.

“I think that music in schools is going away. I think that we need more children to pick up an instrument and learn it,” said Flippen. 

Flippen is artistically inclined, playing the violin and taking an interest in guitar and piano, but playing instruments is one of many places Flippen performs in. Flippen is also a part of the drama club, all this combined makes him very comfortable on stage.

“I love performing which is one of the reasons why I wanted to do Mr. Norristown,” said Flippen. “It’s good to showcase any talent you have.”

Like many artists, there’s an inspiration that encourages the art. Flippens’ inspiration comes from his orchestra director, Jemma Malkasian.  

“She really pushed me to grow,” said Flippen. “I used to feel like I wasn’t going anywhere, but then she’d be like, wow, you’re great, she helped me to know my worth and who I am. Usually, when I had serious talks with anybody, I wouldn’t take them seriously, but when she talked to me, I’d listen.”

Being social and outgoing, Flippen finds comfort in being around his friends at different places, mostly their houses, but there are sometimes when he just feels like relaxing in bed and listening to his favorite songs. When he feels this way, Flippen likes to take a page out of Nicki Minaj’s book. “As the great Nicki Minaj once said, ‘sit back and observe.’” (Despite his love for this quote, Flippen wants it to be known that he is not a Nicki fan.)

Over the course of his high school career and becoming an adult, Flippen has learned many personal lessons. A major one is to trust himself, something he hopes to pass down to the younger generations.

“You may think everything’s your fault, or people may blame everything on you, but everything’s not your fault.”

With his full chest, Flippen says that 10 years from now he’ll be famous for “everything”. 

“It’s not confidence, it’s real. I don’t think, I know.”