NAHS Select Choir Performs in NYC

Khalia Butler, Sports Editor

Recently Norristown Area High School Select Choir took a trip to New York City to perform at Lincoln Center. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to get there. The choir members and their director, Mrs. Danoff, overcame a number of obstacles to get the trip approved, raise money to decrease the individual cost to students, and pay part of their own way. In the end, it paid off.

During their journey to get there, they had to fund raise a lot of money. Once they fund raised they still didn’t have enough money, so the choir had to pull some money from their parents and that still wasn’t enough. Near the end before they went on their trip, the principal decided to fulfill the choir’s deficits and pay the rest as a temporary loan.  The loan requires that the Select Choir must raise the money borrowed and give it back to the school, but this does allow the choir to go and have the time needed to raise the money.

While in New York, Select Choir took full advantage of their time there.  They toured many different places including ground zero, the Metropolitan Art Museum, and Times Square.

Even though touring the city was amazing, they knew they were there to work as well. Everyday that Select Choir was out in New York they had to rehearse with the other choirs in the performance: Wissahickon High School, Souderton Area High School, and Springfield Township High School. As the four choirs joined together, they realized how epic their voices sound together as one choir.

The choirs performed at the Lincoln Center in New York and sung their hearts out for their director Mr. John Conahan (Choir Director for Wissahickon High School). After the performance the choir members received love and recognition from Mr. Conahan for participating in his choir and working hard to make his dream come to life. Norristown Select Choir members were sad to leave New York because there was still so much to do and see.  Unfortunately, they had to travel back home and back to reality.