The Nittany Lions are Back!

Mark Selders

Saquon Barkley (#26)

Elijah Khan, Staff Reporter

Records

The Nittany Lions are back! Penn State had their most successful season since 2009 with a impressive 11 wins and 2 losses. No one thought they would get this far when they started of the season 2-2. But then, they went red hot. Winning 9 games in a row was a reason 11 opponents lost this year, including powerhouses #3 seed Ohio State in an upset win, 24-21, and #8 Wisconsin in the BIG 10 division title game in Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana, 38-31. Penn State also earned a trip to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA to face the Southern California (USC) Trojans. Even though Penn State lost 52-49 and QB Trace McSorley threw 3 interceptions, they had an amazing performance where the momentum went back and forth in a high-scoring game.

Barkley’s Going Far

Sophomore running back Saquon Barkley from Coplay, Pennsylvania earned a spot on the Associated Press All-America third team, the first Penn State running back to garner All-America accolades since Larry Johnson captured first team laurels in 2002. He is also the first offensive player to take home All-America honors since Allen Robinson (first team) and John Urschel (third team) in 2013.  Barkley is the 2016 Graham-George Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, the 2016 Ameche-Dayne Big Ten Running Back of the Year, was named to the All-Big Ten first team by the coaches and media, which made him a unanimous first team choice, was selected as the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press and was a unanimous first-team All-Big Ten selection. He also shares the Silver Football honor with Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett. (http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120816aac.html). Barkley ranks second in the Big Ten and ranks 32nd in FBS in all-purpose yards (128.15 per game), ninth in FBS with 19 total touchdowns, third in the conference and 33rd nationally with 100.2 rushing yards per game. Barkley and McSorley have made an explosive offensive duo this year.