NAHS Brings Home First Place from PA Computer Fair

Shirell Harrison, Staff Reporter

Recently, three Norristown students competed in the PA Computer Fair. The regional competition was April 7th and the state competition is May 24th. The PA Computer Fair is a competition at both the regional and state levels for several different categories. Some are programming, web design, logo design, animation, and digital movie. Peter Eldridge, Chris Rivera, and Vanessa Limbert entered the competition in the digital movie category. They received the hslogo2016homeopportunity to compete via the gifted program here at Norristown High. Their video was about two detectives investigating a suicide watch call. It seems routine, but things didn’t go quite as expected.

The trio have been friends for years which made making the movie “a lot of fun”, according to Vanessa. The main character featured another Norristown Student, Mr. Dylan Ashcroft. “It was cool to see all the writing and planning come to life on the screen”, said Peter.  It wasn’t all smiles and laughs. They said they did hit some difficulties though, particularly in editing the sound. In Chris’ opinion, “The hardest part was editing the voices because there was a lot of unwanted background noise that was messing up the sound clips.” While awaiting the result the group was a little nervous. They thought they had won, but knew that they had some decent competition, so it could’ve went either way. Despite the angst they went through, congratulations go to this group of seniors because they won 1st place!

You can view the video here: https://youtu.be/8Ugn7Gyh9GE