Norristown High Has Changed

Angel Patel, Staff Reporter

b55dd7d9-7c9e-48a3-9127-62cd7b4deed1

Soon the class of 2016 will be graduating this June. In the past four years the high school has changed a lot. In their freshmen year (2012) they met new people and had lots of fun. In their time so many things have changed, it’s almost crazy.

Today’s seniors had class dances while the classes after them did not. While most seniors know each other now, they can now meet other students because guests are now allowed at dances. Back in 2012, seniors were permitted to leave early for Senior Banquet whereas now seniors must be in the school the day of Senior Banquet. Many classes and clubs have been added since 2012 while German and Chinese are no longer available as languages and Spanish for heritage speakers is offered. Spanish is taken considerably more seriously now than before. Keystones are also taken more seriously. Any student that does not pass the first time has to take a remediation class. The seniors that have passed all their Keystones get a senior privilege.

In 2013 the students got a Student Summit which is a leadership group that has become pretty popular. Just last year the school newspaper came back as the Wingspan. As freshmen, the class of 2016 had a smaller window to pass their classes as a passing grade was a 65%, but now, when senioritis kicks in it is easier to pass with the new failing grade of 60%. Over time there has been a decrease in the amount of tech zones (areas where a student is allowed to use electronics) around the school as technology of any kind from students is not permitted anywhere in the building.

Pep rallies used to occur twice in a school year, fall and winter. Now there is only one pep rally and they are shortened incredibly because the amount of fighting and misbehavior. There has also been an increase in lunch fight over the years. In addition, the school lunches have become healthier which is good for the students and have barely, just barely improved in quality.

Freshmen in 2012 thought that they wouldn’t have to take a full year of Physical Education (PE) in their junior year. However, that thought didn’t last for long as it is now a requirement to graduate. PE is also more rigid and structured than years prior while allowing more freedom to choose activities to upperclassmen. A new track and football field has been added near the student parking lot as well as some bleachers. To park in the student parking lot drivers must pay and use a designated spot for themselves. Lastly, ID are now mandatory by a new policy to even get into the high school.

Over the past four years, many things have changed for the students, especially seniors, of Norristown High School and as they say, change is constant so current and future classes can look forward to more.