Teachers’ Contract Negotiations Have Stalled

The teachers here at Norristown Area High School (NAHS) put countless hours and hard work to providing each child a safe environment and sound education. Teachers have one of the most important jobs there is because they shape students’ in terms of knowledge and goals.  Furthermore, they teach many students their first life lessons.  Teachers have been igniting minds since the beginning of time. Despite their long respected history, teachers at NAHS have been deprived and unsatisfied with their district because the teacher union and school board have not come to a resolution about the teacher’s contract.  The teachers’ contract also encompasses the other professional faculty members in the district, such as nurses and counselors who pull heavy work loads to care for all NASD students.

The teacher contract has been expired since September 1, 2015.  To date, that’s 6 months without a contract. Teachers have been following the same contract put in place for the 2010 – 2015 school years. This is devastating to the teachers because they are not getting what they deserve. Not having a contract means each teacher does not get the incremental pay raise according to a progressive salary scale based on years of experience and education.

While the community often perceives that this is a money issue, the teachers are more concerned with the principle of respect for one’s employees. Still, it is clear that in order to be a decent teacher one has to be in it for more than just the money. Teachers have been waiting for months to receive their new contract. Currently there’s no set date to go over the contract.  It is sad to say, but this has happened before in the district during the 1990s for a span of 18 months says EANA president and teacher, Mr. Speer’s.

Further down the road if the contract negotiations remain stagnant teachers may have to resort to actions that go against their moral code. For instance they may have to start “Working to Rule”.  This will mean teachers would have to stop doing all of the “extra” things they do beyond their paid hours. These include  some clubs, unpaid sports positions and activities. This would also require teachers to start leaving at their contracted time.

If the school board is still unable to come to an agreement on the teacher contract teachers may have to consider a strike. The teachers do not want to have to go to these measures, however the district has given them no choice. Going on strike can cause students to miss out on school during crucial learning times.  These are the worst case scenarios and it is important to get involved now. Teachers provide so much to a child’s development and should not be pushed to the side.

Teachers have started wearing black shirts on Fridays at school and even spoken out respectfully during Public Comment at School Board meetings.  Some students are feeling powerless and are wondering what they can do to help.  They can join teahcers in wearing a black shirts on Fridays and encourage their community and families to get involved. If the community is able to come to together maybe the school board will realize how serious the problem is. The teachers not having a contract just doesn’t effect their wallets; it effects the community. The contract provide motivation for teachers to work for NASD.   Without it, our district and schools seem less attractive to new and established teachers and faculty.  Ultimately, not securing a contract will  impact students greatly because they will not have access to the education they deserve.