Senior to Senior: A Helpful List on Prom Preparations

Khadejah Neal, Writer

pr151983413bae59_imageMoments_E-Prom-Prepcl_6872dbba2b040e6bd43dc3773e92be34

Prom is one of the most stressful times of the year for high school seniors. From dress and tux shopping to the corsage and boutonniere (the little flower things that are exchanged), the shoes, it’s all stressful for both boys and girls! So what do both genders need to do in preparation for prom?

Gentleman

• Promposal – Asking the girl of your dreams to attend prom with you. Some promposals involve a lot of preparation and time, it all depends on how creative you’re trying to be.
  • Dressy attire – This can involve either buying or renting a tuxedo, vest, dress shirt, bow/tie, etc. If you’re going solo this is an easier task, being as you don’t have to match a date. If you’re going with a date you have some more work cut out for you.
  • Dress Shoes – We decided to make this a whole different category; dress shoes can either make or break an outfit! Acquiring the perfect pair of shoes make take some serious time and effort so start looking early boys.
  • Corsage – Finding the perfect flower may be challenging, especially the day of prom. Thing about how many other guys are looking for a corsage to give their lucky lady. Unfortunately, you can’t buy flowers early (because they won’t be good by the time you have to use them) so make sure you plan out what color flower(s) you’ll be giving your date, and if you’ll be pinning it to her dress or putting it on her wrist!
  • Transportation – One of the most important aspects of prom is the vehicle you arrive in. Gentleman, it is in your best interest to start making arrangements on either renting or borrowing a fancy car to take you and your guest to prom.

Ladies

• Dress – Ladies, we all know how stressful dress shopping is. It can takes weeks to find the dress that makes you look and feel great , so don’t wait until the last minute to go dress shopping! Keep your date in mind as well, certain colors may look great on you but not so great on your date.
  • Nails – Whether you’re painting your own nails, getting acrylics, or fake nails, it is an important part of the overall look! Make sure you make your nail appointments at least a few days in advanced, so you have a slot at your local nail salon.
  • Hair – Doing your hair may take the longest out of all the beauty preparations. Make sure the hairstyle you chose is something you can dance and have fun with the whole night, not just something that is aesthetically pleasing.
  • Makeup – This is something that almost every girl will either get done or do herself before the big night. Ladies remember that makeup is used to ENHANCE your naturally beautiful features, not to mask them. Also, make sure to book your appointments at least a few days in advanced, they fill up quickly!
  • Don’t Stress! – So many girls (including myself) stress out about prom so much. They not only want to look good in front of the rest of the class, but they also want to look good in their own eyes. Prom is something that every girl will look back on, and you don’t want to remember stressing out about everything! Have fun with your planning, but most of all enjoy the night with your friends, family, and senior class.