High School Musical Reunion

Cassidy Uzdzienski, Staff Reporter

Ten years ago, on January 20, 2006, High School Musical debuted on Disney Channel and gained 7.7 million views. This fun musical that gave a strong message that you can do and be whatever you want in life as long as your head is in the game, has been a nostalgic movie for many people over the years that they watch and brings back memories of when they were a kid dancing around and singing at the top of their lungs to the catchy soundtracks.

The movie started several careers for these stars such as the well-known Zac Efron who has starred in many comedies and dramas over the years, as well as Vanessa Hudgens who starred in Gigi on Broadway and is set to star in Grease Live at the end of this month. Anyone who hasn’t seen this movie is truly missing out and should definitely see it and then instantly watch the other two after so they can enjoy watching this amazing reunion. Anyway, to celebrate the popular and iconic movie’s 10th anniversary, the cast reunited, minus Zac, who didn’t show up due to scheduling conflicts, but did have a prerecorded messages for fans that aired during the reunion special on Disney Channel. The reunion featured the cast sharing lots of fond memories and photos of themselves from over the years and it was a blast to see them together again.

During the reunion, the cast shared what the entire experience has been like for them and how the movie will always have a place in their hearts. “It is so surreal being here. It is crazy to me that ten years have gone by. I still love them so much, from the bottom of my heart. It was such a whirlwind–it’s just the best memories,” Hudgens, who played Gabriella Montez, shared. “His vision was insane,” Tisdale, the actress who played Sharpay, said about Kenny Ortega, the director/choreographer of the production. “When I read the script, I thought that it was a cute movie, but everyday I would come to set, there was a detail that he would put into the scene that you would never think of. Just his vision and his ideas were just so inspiring. He really was the heart of this movie.” He sure was! There were so many great moments from the reunion and any fan of the musical should definitely watch to catch all of the funny moments and good times. “It’s been amazing over the last 10 years to watch social media become as big as it has and to see all of the fan pages pop up and that it’s still very active and alive,” Coleman, who played Taylor, says. “They’re still so supportive over everything we’re doing,” Tisdale adds, “They’re always there, which is so amazing”.

Heck yeah we are! Although the reunion aired on Disney Channel at 8:00 pm on January 20th, it can be found online if you missed it along with the cast’s audition tapes which are sure to be entertaining. Don’t miss it, check it out!