JROTC program; Senior Spotlight

Courtney Hathaway, Editor

The senior spotlight we chose from the JROTC is actually my best friend, Melissa DaSilvio. JROTC stands for Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, and is a Federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces for high schools across the United States and United States military bases across the world. This is Melissa’s second year with JROTC and I sat down with her to learn more about what she does in the program and to take suggestions for anyone thinking about joining.

Interview:

Q :What is your rank in JROTC? 

A: I’m a Cadet Command Sergeant Major.

Q: What do you do and learn in JROTC?

A: Our curriculum is mainly based on teaching kids leadership qualities and knowing right from wrong. The overall point of JROTC is to motivate young people to become better citizens. Physical training is also something we do weekly which helps kids get some type of workout. We focus on teaching kids to become great people physically & mentally. We learn some military customs as well but that’s not the main point of the course.

Q:Do you want to go into the Army after JROTC?

A: Yes, I am in the Army.

Q: What do you want to do in the army?

A: I’m going to be a dental specialist.

Q:What made you want to join the Army?

A: Well, I’ve always wanted to as a little kid. As I got older I realized the benefits that the Army offers and job training. So I saw it as a good opportunity for myself.

Q: What advice would you give to people going into JROTC next year?

A: Definitely take advantage of opportunities it gives. Some of the previous kids from years before were able to get a four year scholarship to college for ROTC. College is expensive, so being able to get in for free is a big deal. Take advantage of everything that’s offered.

Not only is being in JROTC about taking advantage of the opportunities given, but so is high school in general. As a senior, I can honestly say that these four years have gone by so fast. For any underclassmen or incoming freshman, the Wingspan is a great opportunity to take advantage of for a better future and high school experience.