Parking Permit

Parking Permit

Lanae Hudson

Every year at Norristown Area High School we have had parking permits, but this year the rules and regulations for it have become stricter. The permit costs $10 (cash only) and will only be valid through the 2015-2016 school year. The $10 collected will be used to pay for the tags and the warning stickers. Although the handbook says that the parking permits are $20, it has been confirmed that the permits are only $10 this year.

To get the permit you have to fill out the form which asks for your name, grade, phone number, birthday, address along with the maker, model, year, color and license plate of your car. You are allowed up to 2 vehicles on your permit and the slip must be signed by you and a parent/guardian. After you get your form filled out, you turn it in with your license, registration, and proof of insurance. After your form is collected and they photocopy your papers, you are then assigned a parking spot and given the tag that you have to hang in your car.

Turning in your papers and paying the fee isn’t enough. You have to park in your assigned spot and have the tag visible to avoid receiving a warning sticker on your car. You get 2 warnings and after the second warning your car will be towed at the owner’s expense. Despite speculations of the parking permit being reinforced because of a hit and run in the parking lot at the beginning of the school year, they are enforcing it to provide more safety. The reinforcement of the parking permits was already planned for this school year. The parking permit is to ensure the safety of all students at NAHS and one way that is happening is by having the assigned parking spots spread out. Everyone’s spot is in the 1st row so the driver can easily drive out instead of backing up, which allows all of the cars to be moving in the same direction. This will minimize the chances for accidents. Another safety factor is that the school doesn’t want random people parking in our parking lot. Our school parking lot is only for students and staff at NAHS. It is also to prevent students without their driver’s licenses to drive to school. A few days a week, Officer Shepard will go out to the parking lot and check the spots to make sure everyone is in their assigned spots. If you come to school and someone is parked in your spot, then you should park in the space in front of yours, make sure your tag is hanging, and you will be fine.