The official student news site of Norristown Area High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Major Carter Brings Experience and Inspiration to JRTOC

Recent Norristown's Finest Stories

Maximilian McCullum

Maximilian+McCullum
Maci Jorden

While others may coast through high school without much effort, Maximilian McCullum used his four years as an avenue to reflect and find himself. And now, he’s prepared to demonstrate his progress to the entire school in this year’s Mr. Norristown. 

While the prospect of competing in Mr. Norristown was something he thought little of in previous years, McCullum wanted to be involved in the community in whatever way possible, viewing Mr. Norristown as the perfect opportunity to express himself in a way he had never done before. 

“It definitely feels like this has to be my moment to show the school who I am for my last year,” said McCullum. “It’s nerve-wracking, but I think what has led me through the process was the fact that I know that even if nobody likes it, I can still be proud of my work in the end.”

McCullum became involved in the school co-founding the D&D Club, writing for the Wingspan when he felt lost after the pandemic, and making friends who care for each other. 

McCullum attributes his biggest inspiration to his 8 years spent in the Boy Scouts, which he feels had set in stone his strong desire to help others. After putting hours into a project for his Eagle Scout requirement, in which he cleaned up a pavilion that many used as a spot of relaxation in the Norristown Farm Park, McCullum discovered the courage to be involved in the community and help with the little things in life. 

“Of all the things that I didn’t even realize at the time of doing ’cause I was so worried about the work, I finally figured out the purpose of it all,” McCullum recalled. “I think what motivated me was the fact that once I got this, I could show others that I could be a part of the world and that I could make an impact.” 

While McCullum struggled within his first two years at NAHS as a result of the pandemic, he reflects upon these four years as a whole, feeling content with himself as a person. McCullum has honed in on the goal of studying linguistics in Japan and wishes to share that knowledge with future students as a teacher. 

“I think I’ve accomplished finding myself. Finding out what was the real Max, not just some 15-year-old who’s like, I have no idea what I’m going to do with my life, I have no idea what I want to be. I don’t know who this person even is that I’m stuck in.”

With Mr. Norristown right around the corner and the end of his time here at NAHS just as close, McCullum wanted to impart advice to newcomers at the high school. 

“Just do things that you may not even like but at least now know that you don’t like them,” said McCullum. “Once you get to high school, I think the most important thing, besides grades, of course, is just to be human.”

View Comments (5)