The official student news site of Norristown Area High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Opinion: Unappetizing School Breakfast a Cause for Concern

With sugary school breakfast options, students lack the nutrients and energy they need.
Abigail Carsner

The Norristown Area School District established free breakfast and lunch for all students on September 6, 2016. During the past school year, many students have complained about the breakfast being served in Norristown Area High School being unappetizing or unhealthy. 

Senior Diana Vazquez believes the NASD community deserves a nutritious and appetizing breakfast. “I think it’s good to start your day with something amazing that can impact your day,” said Vazquez.

Superintendent Christopher Dormer issued the free breakfast program in 2016. In a Fox 29 Interview, he explained that the district had been trying to grow the breakfast program for years through the Department Of Agriculture. Governor Shapiro’s budget for public schools only had two ways to obtain breakfast: either you had to pay or you would have to go through the paperwork to qualify for a free breakfast. It was a long but successful process, which pushed through to begin the community eligibility provision of the National School Breakfast, which ensures free meals to schools and school districts in lower-income areas and helps students have breakfast before the school day begins to boost their energy levels and alertness throughout the day. 

Norristown Area High School offers a variety of breakfast options that are provided on the menu, such as the Peach Pancake Bowl, Golden Grahams Cereal Bar, Zee Zees Blueberry Lemon Nutrition Bar, Benefit Bars Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Strawberry Nutri Grain Bars, Pop Tarts, Sunmaid Fruity Raisin Snacks, and Ocean Spray Dried Cranberries. A few items listed on the menu are pleasant, but others are not as tasty or healthy to eat as others. This is a problem because consuming sugary breakfast foods can interfere with physical health and skipping breakfast almost every day can cause frequent headaches. To remedy this the school could offer other choices instead, adding alternative breakfast options can make a difference for many students. It can help more students improve their health instead of wasting it. 

Senior Vice President Rahyiely Torres realized how insufficient the school’s options were. “Most of the time it’s some sort of bar no one enjoys, sugary donuts or muffins with a side of dried cranberries,” Torres said. 

Warm sandwiches served in the cafeteria before heading to the first block could work as a convenient option for students. It would be nice to see a variety of sandwiches to choose from; mornings would be more enjoyable at the school. This could motivate students to come to school on time because many students are tardy because of frequent stops at Wawa which causes many latenesses in the mornings. Keeping in mind that some students may not prefer a sandwich in the morning, it is important to offer many different viewpoints. 

“I think involving students in the decision-making process is important. We are the ones eating the breakfast and joining students’ voices or being a school board representative. Those are the people who can help make a difference,” Torres said.

The school could offer the opportunity to purchase hot sandwiches in the cafeteria. Starting a fundraiser by offering hot sandwiches in the cafeteria can help address the ongoing vending machine conflict as well. Recent students who have graduated discussed how much the vending machines gained popularity when it was actively up and running. Reopening the vending machine could restore things to get back to normal and run smoothly again since they have been shut down for many months.

“I believe it’s the fact that in our school the bad behaviors are often more acknowledged than the good, I think the faculty is doing a better job at changing that. I believe that if we express we want them back with unity and respect it’s possible,” Torres said.  Torres believes that many students’ ideas are not acknowledged enough. 

The school breakfast should offer more nutritious options such as fruit bowls, oatmeal, breakfast burritos, smoothies, bagels, etc. Neighboring High Schools like Upper Merrion serve croissant sandwiches, burritos, pancakes, and oatmeal with fresh strawberries, for their breakfast. Methacton High School District showcases multiple options including fresh fruit, muffins, blueberry waffles, and strawberry bagels daily. This shows that it is possible for a more tasteful selection to be provided at Norristown Area High School. There could be a wider variety of options packed with essential nutrients instead of Zee Zee’s Blueberry Lemon Nutrition Bar and Cranberries which contain high amounts of sugar and sodium. 

Introducing a cafe in the mornings would be a convenient way for students to get breakfast. Providing students with a quick and easy way to grab a nutritious meal before starting their day off can benefit the students with their school performance in their classes. It could create a more amiable atmosphere in the building and provide a space where kids could hang out and socialize without being disruptive. 

Eating a nutritious breakfast helps improve cognitive abilities and can help students stay energized throughout the day. Expanding the menu by introducing a healthier substitute can be a substantial benefit for all students. Starting the day with a nutritious breakfast can have an impact on students at school providing energy and concentration which is necessary in class. This approach can result in a higher improved attendance and academic performance. This enhancement will promote healthier eating habits and have a positive impact and experience on the school. 

View Comments (5)