The official student news site of Norristown Area High School

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

UNIDAD Soccer Tournament ’23 Kicks Off the Holiday Season

The annual UNIDAD soccer tournament took place on October 27, 2023, in the Norristown Area High School gymnasium. Just like in previous years the money raised went towards the UNIDAD scholarship and is given to one of the seniors in the spring, the UNIDAD club, and toward events like these in the future. 

UNIDAD advisors Lauren Bissland, an English teacher, and Macy Grace Wiedman, an ELL teacher, held this year’s event. 

“Overall, I think that it went pretty well, especially coming at this with the idea it was our first time planning it,” said Ms. Bissland. “But overall it went really really well, [UNIDAD] did an amazing job.”

“I thought it was a really nice display of community,” said Ms.Wiedman.“I felt like a really nice community event and seeing friends and family come support.”

This year consisted of 18 teams instead of the usual 16 teams from prior years. All 18 teams consisted of Norristown Area High School students, staff, and alumni, as well as students from neighboring schools to fill in teams. All teams played in a knock-out tournament to win the UNIDAD soccer trophy.

Outside of the gymnasium, in the lobby, people bought snacks and dinner, and got their faces painted by the National Art Society. On the night of the event, people could go out into the lobby and get a bite of a delicious torta with crispy breaded chicken, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, and queso Oaxaca, or quesadillas and tacos, while drinking one of the refreshing drinks, from El Primos.

The students who participated in the tournament were primed and ready to win. 

“I’m pretty hype,” said sophomore Juan Morales, who played in the tournament. “They just need to watch out ’cause they messing with the big dogs.”

The teams that kicked off the tournament were the Deca and the staff teams. “I’m here for moral support and I hope they win,” said Dayanis Morales Salgado, a supporter of the Deca team.  

“I think it going to be a good game,” said Ms. Noce, a player in the staff team. “I think it’s going to be good competition and it’s going to be a good match-up to start off the tournament” 

Throughout the night you could see people with thousands of expressions on their faces and suspense driving through their body from every kick, step, and goal. 

Before the semifinals, Sabor Latino performed a dance they had been working on for a while. Unfortunately, many of the players who were eliminated left before the performance, but the dance troop still had their spirit in them.  “I think [the people who left] are dumb because they are missing the best part,” said Jimena De Santiago, a sophomore and dancer.

After an intense and close matchup with all the teams, Team “610” ended up taking home the trophy and leaving “FC Dragons” in second place. The players of the team “610” are Aleis Zurita, Alan Sanchez, Renato Castillo, Cesar Valdes, Kevin Garcia, Teddy Gerardo, Alejandro Gerardo. At the end of the night both teams and others came down to talking and laughing with one another, showing that it wasn’t just about competition, but about coming together and having a good time.