‘Ghostbusters: Afterlife:’ The Perfect Second Sequel for Any Long-Time ‘Ghostbusters’ Fan

Movie Review

Jason Reitmans Ghostbusters Afterlife comes in and fixes the problems from the past Ghostbusters movie.

Jason Reitman’s “Ghostbusters Afterlife” comes in and fixes the problems from the past Ghostbusters movie.

Brett Wilson, Staff Writer

The moment you step into the theater with the knowledge of what you’re watching, you become full of anticipation and excitement, and “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” fulfills a lot of those feelings for the watcher. Four movies with the title of “Ghostbusters” have been released over the last 37 years, the originals: “Ghostbusters,” both 1 and 2, the 2016 reboot simply titled “Ghostbusters,” and “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” released this year on Nov. 17. While the 2016 reboot isn’t in the same timeline, “Afterlife” takes place about 37 years after the originals. I was hooked into the film just from the opening credits showing Sony Pictures Entertainment, the main production studio of the film because it used classic sound queues and jingles that would make any fan happy. 

As you probably know from the trailer, the main protagonists are the grandchildren of former Ghostbuster Egon Spengler, and throughout the movie, you learn more about why he was in the fictional town of Summerville, Oklahoma, and what the significance of the location is. Egon has since passed in the film’s timeline, yet despite that, the protagonists are still able to save the town, and frankly the world, even if they barely have any knowledge of the Ghostbusters or their technology.

The movie starts slow, but this is a good thing as it’s similar to the originals and allows us to learn about the new characters. Speaking of the characters, they were effectively thought out and the actors portrayed them very passionately, no character ever felt flat or boring, especially the two protagonists, Trevor played by Finn Wolfhard, and Phoebe played by McKenna Grace. Another important character is Mr. Gooberson, played by Paul Rudd, who is the summer school teacher for Phoebe and is a semi-expert on the Ghostbusters, so he helps her with the original ghost trap model she finds. 

Trevor and Phoebe are both wonderfully thought out and unique in their ways, Trevor is a nervous high school kid, who tries to get a job at a fast-food establishment called Spinners thanks to a girl he becomes attracted to. He is also very good at fixing cars. Phoebe is a genius like her grandfather and understands his forms of technology with ease, and makes the story go on as it should. 

The story was wonderful and fits effectively into a “Ghostbusters” film. Evil spirits are unleashed onto a town once again after years of nothing going on, and the newcomers, Phoebe and Trevor, need to save their new home. Sadly the only old spirits to return are the demon dogs and tiny versions of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, which by the way are extremely adorable.

Now, before watching the movie I was excited, though in the back of my mind I was probably a little hesitant as the previous “Ghostbusters” film was disappointing. However, I am glad to say that I think Afterlife lived up to the standards set by the classics and I think it was the perfect way to create a… threequel? Is that the word? Anyhow, this was a very enjoyable and well-made movie, all the cast and crew were passionate about this and many fans should be satisfied with this newest film. 

The movie was creatively and passionately thought out and I think its final production was a wonderful piece that I’d gladly watch again. My favorite part about this movie is not the story, effects, characters, or music. Rather, what I love the most is that it was made in memory of Harold Ramis, the original actor for Egon Spengler who died in 2014. He passed away from inflammatory vasculitis at 69 years old. I’m sure if he were still here today, he would be satisfied with the film made in his honor. I know I am.