The Wingspan

$50K Grant Upgrades NAHS Video and Film Program with New Equipment, Quality

Duyen To, Associate Editor

When entering the com-center of Norristown Area High School, students will be astonished at how advanced and up-to-date the school is with technology and film production equipment.

John Doyle, the video production teacher, recently received a grant of $50,000 from State Senator Daylin Leach, obtaining the opportunity of a lifetime to boost quality for Norristown film. Leach appeared twice a week as a guest on the Hank Cisco show, one of the shows Doyle’s video production class produces in studio. Doyle had known Sen. Leach for years, and as the show progressed over the years, Sen. Leach watched the kids struggle as they used broken equipment to film the show. There was no budget in the school to help fund or buy new items, so Sen. Leach decided to help fund the film production program by generously awarding the program $50,000.

Upon receiving the grant, the communication center (often referred to as the  “com-center”) was able to upgrade with three new cameras, one of which is able to record in regular HD and the other two able to record in 2K. Doyle also bought professional editing programs Adobe Premiere and Final Cut to better edit videos and prepare students for both college and careers in video editing.

Additionally, the com-center also upgraded its computers, adding three new Mac computers, each of which also have the new editing programs installed. The comcenter was able to receive new microphones for better voice recording for videos.

Moreover, Doyle also bought a drone, giving the students the advantage to record videos and take pictures high up where people cannot reach. As cool as it sounds, the drone was not the most expensive piece of equipment, or what Doyle called, “cheap but not cheap.”

Upon receiving new equipment, students must be careful not break or damage it. “There is this terrifying nature of things being broken,” Doyle said. “There’s so many expensive equipment, my kids aren’t used to handling them. When you’re used to dealing with junk, you get used to treating equipment as such.”

When given new equipment, not many people have knowledge on how the equipment might work; thus they must learn how to utilize it. “This learning curve challenges me to teach my kids. My classes are in different levels, as my second level classes are more advanced than my first level class alongside the new equipment.”

There may be many challenges Doyle and his students must face because of the new equipment, but those will not stop the video production crew from bringing better quality film and sound to Norristown Area High School.

From the announcements in the morning to lunchtime slide-shows, many students of NAHS have began to notice the change in quality. “Oh, students have already seen stuff! We’ve fixed the Eagle News, and now it looks much more professional. It’s much more viewable. You can most definitely see the difference.”

The Eagle News isn’t the only thing students have noticed. “Sports games look like something new, a difference in things we produce, giving more information and entertainment to kids and the community.”

As students begin to work with new equipment, Doyle has noticed that kids become overwhelmed and scared. “Most importantly, they’re excited!” Doyle emphasized.  Doyle had struggled with teaching his students with broken equipment, but now he is able to teach as well as learn “this and that” about the new technology the film program has received.

About the Contributors
Duyen To, Staff Reporter

My name is Duyen, and I am currently in 10th grade. I am an Assistant Editor of the Wingspan. I enjoy sleeping, eating, reading manga, and listening to...

Christina Wong, Staff Reporter

I am a tenth grader at Norristown Area High School, and this is my second year of school publications. I enjoy taking naps and binge watching shows. I...

1 Comment

One Response to “$50K Grant Upgrades NAHS Video and Film Program with New Equipment, Quality”

1. Jazz on March 24th, 2019 11:08 pm

It’s nice to see that we have some new equipment.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• $50K Grant Upgrades NAHS Video and Film Program with New Equipment, Quality

News

Hollywood Hills Come Alive at ’19 Junior Prom

News

New AP Capstone Program Aims to Prepare Students for College, Careers

Arts & Entertainment

1st Annual Choir Day Festival Sings for Unity Among District

News

US Representatives Dean and Thompson Speak About Gun Control; Students Press for Answers

News

Mr. Norristown 2019 Brings Humor, Heart to the Stage

News

NASD Nurses Connect Students, Doctors with TytoCare Pilot

Clubs

NAHS Students Solve for Ex-perience in PA Math League

News

Seven NAHS Clubs Collaborate to Develop King Day of Service Event

News

New NASD Student-Designed Logo to Symbolize District Progress

News

Chic-fil-A Leader Academy Hosts Holiday Fun for Students with Special Needs

The student news site of Norristown Area High School