Registration Open for Tornado Basketball Tournament

Class of 2021 brings the fun, competitive shoot-out to the NAHS Gym

Christina Wong, Staff Writer

You think you’re a baller? Whirl your way to Norristown’s Tornado Basketball Tournament to show off that clean shooting stroke.

The Class of 2021 is hosting a Tornado Basketball Tournament on Saturday Jan. 12 at 1:00 pm. For $10, a team of two may register to compete for a tournament championship trophy and additional prizes, which, according, to Mr. Jeff Craig, the Class of 2021 sponsor, “will be worth the students’ while.”

All proceeds will benefit the Class of 2021, which is fundraising to offset the costs of proms and banquets.

Tornado Basketball is a shooting game in which two teams of two players compete against each other each other until one of the teams makes ten shots. While one player shoots, the other collects the rebounds. Once the first shooter makes the five shots, the two teammates switch positions, and continue until the ten shots are made.

Craig initially learned of the idea from Mr. Jared Elias, gym teacher, a couple of years ago.

“I pitched the idea to the class, and as they got more details, they definitely warmed up to it, and have done a good job preparing,” Craig said.

Members of the Class of 2021 are working hard to ensure that the Tornado Basketball tournament will be fun and exciting for not only the players but for the crowd as well! Fliers were posted around the school and a commercial has been uploaded onto the NASDtv to help promote the tournament. Members of the club have dedicated their free time during lunch to promote the event and sell tickets.

The Tornado Basketball Tournament encourage players to work as a team in a friendlier competitive environment. Due to the tournament’s structure,athletic or experienced competitors do not have a particularly strong advantage.

“It’s a way for people who don’t call themselves basketball players a chance to play against people who deem themselves basketball players” Craig said. “It is an opportunity to compete and beat [basketball players] at an even playing field.”

Active member of the class of 2021, Cameron Johnson, encourages students to break out of their shells and get involved. “The Tornado Basketball Tournament allows people to get out and have fun.” 

Students interested in participating can register with Mr. Craig in room 260 or at all lunches.